The Mary Rice Centre provides a safe, engaging and nurturing learning environment that celebrates the special abilities of children within the Kibera slums.
- Encourages parents and guardians to be more involved in their child’s development, through workshops and seminars.
- Provides challenged children with the playing materials and experiences to help them to develop creative skills and increased physical fitness.
- Provides students with special needs hope and help to develop self confidence through learning and affirmation.
In the wider community, we aim to
- Educate the local community to become more sensitive and aware of children with special needs and to ensure spcial ability children are accepted and embraced in the community and in wider society.
- Encouraging family members to network with other families, so as to share their experiences of living with children with special needs, whilst building their own capacity to provide basic support to all their children.
- Introducing children to self-care activities such as toilet training, cooking and gardening.
- Facilitating a sense of ownership amongst parents and guardians for the Mary Rice Centre through active participation in daily programmes such as the cooking of meals for children and staff.